Friday, April 10, 2009

New Experiences

I just had the first realization of living in an upscale neighborhood. In a way it's not really like this was a new experience because even when I lived in apartment complexes people came to the door trying to sell things, but today I'm pretty sure they came to my door because of my neighborhood. I don't like door-to-door salesmen. Part of why I don't like them is because they want you to like them so much! They use your name and they tell jokes and they get you outside of your comfort zone to try to get you to buy their product. This particular one includes a "youth program" so not only are you not helping them sell you are making some poor child not have a "program". This guy made it a little easier by telling me that I looked 7 years old. Thanks. He then more seriously asked if my mom was home, and continued to refer to me helping my mom clean even when I told him I was the woman of the house. He asked if I had my own bathroom, and I wanted to be like "no dude, this whole big house doesn't have a single bathroom in it. We go to Wal-mart to use theirs." So in the end I told him I "wasn't comfortable making purchases without talking it over with the family." He was ticked but I'm sure he wished that I'd let him to whoever actually lives in this house.

3 comments:

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

What were they trying to sell? Have you seen "Secondhand Lions"? You should see it. It'd make you appreciate my dad a bit more, and give some good pointers on how to deal with roudy salesman (aka, with a gun, or a dog, or a lion...) :)

ATP said...

That's annoying, but now you can use your short stature as an out for future times! Ummm...my mom's not home, and slam the door! Hope all is well down south!

Brad Dimick said...

That bastard!