Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Flashback Fridayish: cooking

I know it's not Friday but I haven't blogged in forever and I've definitely missed some Fridays so I'm going to show you all these photos before I forget I have them.

Growing up my mom didn't do a lot of baking. Jiffy muffins equal homemade as far as I'm concerned. Grandma Sycamore bread is almost like homemade since we know the guy who owns the company... I think his name is Jim or something like that. Anyways, once a year my mom would always make her Braided Swedish Bread. She would make dozens of loaves to give away as Christmas presents to the neighbors. I loved when she made bread because we always got to keep some loaves. I also kind of hated it because I wanted to keep ALL of the loaves. So this past Christmas I decided that I should try to make some bread in my tiny apartment kitchen and since I had no friends I could keep all the bread! I managed to make ruin the first batch by accidentally making bricks instead of something edible. I then made a couple decent (I hope) loaves that I gave as thank you's for the teachers that helped me with my student teaching. (Dang conscience making me give away the bread!) And then while making my own batch this happened:

The last photo is of the massive chunk of dough that somehow jumped out of the mixer while the flour was busy being flung all over my tiny counter space. I don't miss this tiny kitchen. But I do miss that bread.... I might have to break tradition and actually bake some bread in July.

4 comments:

Jo Mama said...

If it makes you feel any better- my first loaves were brick too. But I didn't have a mixer. :) That mostly means when flour went flying I had no one to blame but myself.

Shauntel said...

I could really go for some braided bread right now. I love that stuff!

Whitney Bonnett Taylor said...

Is this Amy Fleming? Holy cow it's been a long time. how are you?

Whitney Bonnett Taylor said...

If someone else wants to do a five year they are welcome to. although it's probably too late now.
I've talked to a handful of people from our class and we are going to put a committee together to do a 10 year. I asked the opinion of a handful of people, and they agreed with me that a 5 year is kinda too soon and pointless. But who am I so say? whoever can do whatever... if they please.
So I'm planning on getting a committee together for a 10. haha sorry. I don't know if that answers your question.