Thursday, July 10, 2008

my reading

So I am reading a book right now that I have mixed emotions about. I was trying not to let it get to me but I guess it did since I was sitting here reading and Brad just asked me a question and all of a sudden I started bawling. The book I am reading is Kite Runner. I'm not going to say a lot about it but I will tell you that it's about a boy who grew up in Afghanistan and the hardships that he's faced and the hardships that his people have faced. I'm not going to suggest this book as a must read to anyone. I wont however tell anyone not to read it. If you want to go ahead. I'm not finished but I will be by the end of tonight. This book deals with one of my biggest fears in life, (not the fear of driving off a bridge into water..... I know good thing I live in a desert right?) but the fear of corrupt leaders. Whenever I watch a movie or read a book where the people in charge are corrupt it makes my heart hurt. When Bruce Wayne comes back to Gotham city and sees the way it is being run and how the police are not only allowing the crime but they are contributing to the crime it makes me so happy to live where I do in the circumstances that I do. Yes, America has it's problems but at least I feel safe and I have a loving family to love and care for me. The hardest thing about this book is that it's true. It's about things that really are happening in the world. It makes it that much harder to read.

So since I'm finishing it tonight does anyone have any good happy fiction to suggest?

4 comments:

ATP said...

I read a book like that too called Souad. Like you I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone, but in the mean time, try Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns. It's one of my favorites. It does have some sadness, but not the horrible kind, and it ends happy!

Lauren said...

Oh boy, I read Kite Runner a while back. It was a tough one. It seems like my mother-in-law's suggestions are always like that...hmm. Maybe I should learn from this. If you're in the mood for very light, fluffy, get-your-mind-off-it reading, I'd suggest The Mad Scientist's Club or Calico Captive (I'm reaching back into my childhood for these). If a little more grown-up read is ok, I would say The Secret Life of Bees or The #1 Ladies Detective Agency. Clive Cussler books are also fun in a masculine, heroic, blow things up, save the day kind of way. My husband likes those. Good luck getting past that book - it kind of stays with you.

Traci said...

read "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer

Mike and Barbara said...

I saw the movie for that book and it was so sad!