Monday, July 7, 2008

Theater in the Desert!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love that my husband will go to plays with me and actually enjoy them! This week was girls weekend in Cedar City. But it was even better than last year cause Brad came! He managed to survive the week with my mom, my sister and I and he even had fun. He says that being the only boy with 3 sisters prepared him to be able to handle sharing a hotel room with the 3 of us. It really was a lot of fun and we both felt really cultured afterwards. We drove down to Provo on Wednesday night and stayed the night there. Thursday morning we got up early and drove to Cedar. We saw 'Taming of the Shrew' first and Brad really enjoyed it. When he was in elementary school his 6th grade class did a production of this play and he approved of the man who played the same role in this version. That night we went and saw a play that was written by Molière, a French playwright. The play was called 'The School for Wives'. It was pretty funny. I had this feeling that there was a theme going on because both shows that we saw on Thursday dealt with how to make women behave.........
On Friday we started off the day with going to Cedar City's 4th of July parade. There were so many people IN the parade that I'm not sure who was watching it. Every kid that played on any sport was on an "allstar" team of some sort and they all got to march in the parade. My sister wanted to wait for the band but turns out there was no band in the parade, dang. That afternoon we went to 'Fiddler on the Roof' and that evening we saw 'Othello'. 'Othello' was so long that we missed all the fireworks. We could hear them going off in the distance but the show went until 11 so we didn't see any. It was ok though because the play was really good. I'd never seen it before and I'd never actually known the storyline at all so now I feel more cultured.These are the banners for all the shows they are doing this summer.

Saturday we went to Godfathers pizza
for a lunch buffet and turns out they have some really cool temporary tattoos in their little waiting area. Brad got really excited because one machine had marvel comics heroes. My roommates and I used to have a tradition where we would get temporary tattoos on every road trip so we decided to continue the tradition. We both got one and Brad even got a Spiderman one which was his first choice! We convinced Erin to get one but couldn't talk my mom into getting one. Next time! Erin got a sparkly flower and we made it a tramp stamp. I got a sweet Wolverine and put it on the back of my calf.











Saturday we went and saw Cyrano De Bergerac. It was an interesting play. I'd never even heard of it before but there were parts from it that are used in a lot of romance movies and such that I now know where they got their starts. That night Erin and my mom went to one last Shakespeare play while Brad and I drove to St George and watched Les Mes at Tuacahn.
If you have never been to Tuacahn you really should look it up. The picture above is in the parking lot. It's an amazing place. They really use the landscape to their advantage for their shows. All in all it was a great trip and Brad and I had a great time on vacation number 2!

4 comments:

Shauntel said...

I knew we were good for something. He really should be thanking the three of us. I heard Les Mes is really good at Tuacahn. Why didn't your mom and Erin go?

Jackie said...

I am so jealous. I havent been to the Shakespearean Festival in such a long time. I used to spend my summers in Cedar City with my grandma and Shakespeare was so much fun both day and night. I have not been to Tuacahn. Scott is not a real big play person but I think I could talk him into going there. Maybe next year I can get an invite to girls roadtrip, hint hint.

Traci said...

Good gosh woman! How many plays did you go to??? We're heading down in a couple weeks - but I'm only going to ONE. Also, Tuacahn is the bomb. And I'm still waiting on that lunch.

@emllewellyn said...

I wish I had time to get down to Cedar City/St. George this summer.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to get my theatrical fill in England...