Friday, November 21, 2008

Flashback Friday: Belt Buckles

One thing I've learned while teaching is that you just have to be yourself because the students see through your lies. Also, if you have little things that the kids can relate to they really enjoy that. I have a couple of little hobbies that the kids have really enjoyed. If you recall back on the 19th of September I taught my classes a lesson on pirates. Since then I've had a student bring me copies of pirate books she has collected and I even got a pirate themed thank you note from another student. The other thing that kids have really enjoyed is my belt collection. My brother started wearing belt buckles when I was a senior in high school and I wanted to be cool like him so he bought me my first belt buckle for Christmas. I continued to collect them whenever I went on trips or for important holidays (I have a lovely skull and crossbones buckle from TLAPD). When I worked at JC Penney my freshman year of college I amassed a large number of belts, mostly belts that had been separated from pants that were then either sold or stolen. Since I began wearing belt buckles several of the kids have come to school early to show me their belt buckles or to check if I have a buckle that day.

Today was my last Friday of student teaching. I wear jeans on Fridays so I decided that today was the day for me to wear my ultimate belt buckle. It is actually the buckle my brother gave me back in 2003. The kids loved it. So here is a picture of me wearing that ultimate buckle to a Keith Urban concert back in 2005.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh, your last Friday. I bet the kids are going to really miss you. Nice buckle by the way.

Tab & Nate said...

I hope that things are going well for you and that life is great! We will have to get together again soon... like maybe around Christmas. FYI I must say that the self-check out definitely fulfills my dreams! I love the beeping scanners! Now I don't have to get a job at a super market because I can experience it every day if I want :)

Celeste Louise said...

Remember when you put grass in that wedding picture of yours? Random memory!

Levi Dean said...

I love belt buckles and belts. I have a barbed wire belt and belt buckle.

I need to start collecting more.