Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I should be getting hazard pay

Those of you who watch Utah's news religiously (I wouldn't blame you since I love Whit Johnson's smile....) might have heard about the lockdown that happened at Kearns High School today. There was an incident and a student was shot. It happened off campus and I was never in any danger. I don't want to perpetuate rumors but I want to say this: As a sub at a school that goes into lock-down things can be a little confusing and slightly scary. My first thoughts were that I couldn't believe no one told me there would be a drill that day. I then sensed the urgency in the principles voice as he continued making announcements about different codes and schedules and all this weird stuff. I normally have a teacher across the hall that helps me out with things but of course her class had gone to the computer lab. Looking out in the hall I began to see cards sliding out from under teachers doors. I realized if they had cards I probably had cards too so I found the firedrill packet and sure enough, inside were the instructions for all of the codes being announced.

Luckily I know the username and passwords to all of my teachers files and so I was able to get into her email and recieve the emails from the office as things were being passed down to the teachers. This all happened while I was in my prep period and so I had no students in the class and so I didn't have to worry about keeping anyone calm or entertained as they continued the lock-down. My biggest worry was what to do with myself in a classroom all by myself for 2 and a half hours. I had my sudoku book and so I sat in a corner and worked on sudoku until the lockdown ended and everyone was released.

So my friends, if you are subbing at a school you should make sure there is a way to be in contact with the office and you should find out where the emergency instructions are because you never know when you will need them.

4 comments:

Janell R. Cropper said...

I didn't realize you were subbing at Kearns! I'm glad you're okay, and that you had a Sudoku book to be your friend. And, I love Whit Johnson's smile too!

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

Two things: 1) I met Whit Johnson two summers ago and yes, his smile is MESMERIZING. Even better in person ;) and 2) KEARNS HS?!????!?!?!??! Holy crap! I had noooo idea! I felt like I was in Vegas again the past 2 days the way the news has been actin. I'm so glad you're ok and that you've completed Sudoku.

Celeste Louise said...

holy crap holy crap! you SHOULD be getting hazard pay!

Shauntel said...

I'm glad you didn't die.