Thursday, January 8, 2009

Things I worry about- (with an update)

So I've already compared myself to the crazy lady in Lemony Snickets but for some reason I have this feeling I should share some of the crazy things I do to prove to you all that I am indeed insane. So here is a list of some of the things I worry about, things I'm afraid of and/or some of the crazy things that I have actually said out loud that I should have just kept inside my little worried head. Some of these you will probably recognize from random posts and some of them you might just already know about me.

  • I worry about having diseases. Some people call this hypochondria I call this being prepared for the worst. I can't prove that my headaches aren't a brain tumor and neither can you. Unless of course you have an MRI machine; in which case go ahead and prove it cause it will probably make me feel better and make the ulcer that I got while worrying about it go away.
  • I am afraid of loud noises. This is a pretty large category that has manifested itself in many different ways....
  1. I don't enjoy vacuuming because it's too loud. Honest. It's not just an excuse for why my house is never clean, I really don't like it.
  2. I don't use a blender even though I LOVE milkshakes and smoothies, I'd rather go without, than use a blender. (But anyone else can make them for me I just have to able to leave the kitchen when the blender goes off...)
  3. I am also afraid of wind storms and thunder. Not because of the damage they can do, but because of the noise. If I was afraid of the damage they can do I would be afraid of lightening, not thunder. But I actually like to look at lightening, especially if it's pictures of lightening or lightening on tv where I don't have to listen to thunder shake the house afterwords. This is where the "things I've said" part comes in. One time my roommates and I were visiting some friends when the weather started getting a little choppy outside. The clouds got all dark and it started to rain a little. Instead of saying we should go home before it started to storm, or before it started to rain too hard I said "We should go before it gets too windy." Since we don't live in Tornado Alley I think the chances of it really getting "too windy" for us to safely drive the 4 blocks back to our apartment in our small, wind resistant car, were slim to none. But I still worried about it.
  • I worry when anyone talks about being prepared for the future. Utah is overdue for that big scary earthquake but I shut down if I try to think about preparing for it. Food storage? what? So if you really like me and want me to survive a disaster you should probably prepare me a disaster kit. (side note, if we do end up moving into Brads grandparents house I think we'll be ok because they are good people who have food storage and all that kind of stuff... So we're good for the next 18 months while they will be gone)
  • I worry about getting rid of things I'll need later. I didn't live through the depression but I tend to hoard things like I did. example: I had a panic attack (overexageration? maybe...) in 4th grade when we played a class game of Oregon Trail. They told us we could only pack like 150 lbs of belongings and gave us a list of all of our belongings to pack from and what they weighed. I really struggled leaving behind my imaginary grandmothers pump organ. I was sentimentally attached to something written down on a piece of paper that didn't really exsist. And if that wasn't bad enough I had to leave things like pots and pans that really could have been useful too!
I'm sure there's others. I know there are lots more but I'm starting to feel a little self concious about how much I've shared already. Plus I can't think of anymore off the top of my head. Except for my pogonophobia.

*UPDATE* - My mother just reminded me that I quit using our treadmill because I couldn't stand how loud it was. So because of my stupid problem with noise I'm also getting fat.

7 comments:

ATP said...

Loud noises...hmmmm. That may help explain part of why you don't like people's alarms going off in the blue door house when you're sleeping in your living room! Early morning and it being Saturday may have some slight influence as well of course.

Shauntel said...

You totally went to that phobis website and found one of the craziest ones. Either that or you married my brother because he is totally not hairy. Either way, Ryan will now be growing his beard out for the next time you see each other.

Celeste Louise said...

oh my gosh Amy you are hilarious. I miss us both being in the labs and lunch group!!

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

I outright giggled on this post :) I still like you, and will make you a yummy shake with our Magic Bullet next time you come over!!

Anonymous said...

seriously!! when is that earthquake coming?!?! they've been saying that forever!

Rachel said...

you are so great Amy! way to be able to vocalize what worries you... I think that is healthy to be able to do that and to know yourself better! thanks for posting!

Emily said...

This has nothing to do with this post but YES I would love for you to hook me up with the cool teachers at Timpview and let me know the low down of the school!! I can't believe I didn't ever know you went there! Funny.