Sunday, October 19, 2008

It comes ALIVE at night!!!

No this post is not about a scary Halloween experience. The title was however my attempt at making it seem that way. No, this post is about the joys of living in an apartment complex, and by joys I mean the stupid things that people do that make it so that no one in their right mind wants to stay in an apartment complex for their whole lives.

Brad and I love our apartment. It's a cute one bedroom place with it's own washer dryer and a dishwasher! That's 3 steps above the last place we lived. It's new, and it's close to work and school. On paper it's also a smoke free environment. I say on paper because as far as I can count there are 2 other apartments in my building where people don't smoke. Those 2 happen to belong to people in my ward. Even though these people face eviction for smoking they do it openly. I finally had enough when it went from cigarette smoke to marijuana smoke and I told the managers and I even had my first experience calling the cops. Don't think I'm little miss tattle tale either...... I just don't want to pay for air conditioning when I could open my door and let in the nice late summer breeze at night, but I'm not going to open the door to marijuana smoke, it gives me headaches. As far as I can tell neither going to the managers nor calling the cops did any good because every day there are people sitting out on their balconies or in the stairwell smoking.

The first day we lived here our neighbor from downstairs came up to introduce himself to us. We thought that was really nice, except he continued to inform us that he has a party every weekend and we should let him know if they are too loud. The noise from his parties has never been TOO bad, but now that I've called the cops on them for the marijuana I'm afraid to ever go down there. And judging from the quantities of alcohol that he carries in every Friday afternoon I'd rather avoid the party anyways......... Even our non-smoking church going neighbors upstairs sometimes vacuum at one in the morning. I got all dressed to go ask them to please wait till morning when it finally stopped. This past weekend we can't tell where the noise comes from, I think it's the apartment that shares a back wall with ours. People come outside every night around midnight and start yelling to each other. Even with all windows and doors shut I can still make out the words they are saying. It is starting to get old which is why I'm so glad to share this news with all my friends out there................... WE'RE MOVING AGAIN!

Grandma and Grandpa D have been asked to go on a mission ASAP and they asked us if we would watch their house for them. SURE! It's a beautiful house and we are feeling so blessed to have the opportunity to stop paying rent and to stop having noisy neighbors so we can save up our money for our own house someday! Because the mission call hasn't worked like most normal mission calls they aren't exactly sure when they leave. As soon as they find out we will be putting in our notice here and praying that our contract sells so we can move there with no further obligations here. Once we move anyone can come visit us because we'll have more spare guest rooms than we'll know what to do with!

I'm excited if you can't tell from the number of exclamation points I've used........

5 comments:

cornnut32 said...

this is why i hate apartment complexes. so we bought a house.

be careful when you buy a house. our next door neighbors smoke pot. we live by an apartment complex and get the loud music and parties still. the lovely apartments also have gang problems--had a gang fight end up in our backyard. so even buying a house doesn't fix it. when you buy a house, make sure you do TONS of research into the area.

i'm excited for you to be in your grandparents' house! that is awesome, rent free!

Blake and Lacy said...

That's so great that you get to "house sit!" Hope everything goes as planned!

Meg said...

Amy I am SOOO excited for you!! Believe me.. I have been there, done that! SO happy you can move into an established neighborhood with pleanty of space. BLESSINGS!

ATP said...

That's great news! Blessings.....

Celeste Louise said...

Awesome Amy! And when are you coming to Logan to re-live the lunch group? Ever?