Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Getting Ready

Ok so everyone who actually reads this (so mostly just Shauntel and Jackie I'm pretty sure...) already knows that I'm teaching Utah Studies next semester. But maybe someone reads this that doesn't know that so it had to be said. So I'm teaching Utah Studies, problem is I haven't had a Utah Studies class since I was in Utah Studies in the 7th grade. So I was talking to one of my professors (Leslie Flemmer, the Teaching Social Studies teacher) and I mentioned that I was teaching at Bennion Jr. High in Taylorsville. Turns out she left Bennion to come to USU. So we got to talking and she told me she knows one of the teachers and is excited for me because she used to teach Utah Studies at that school. About a week later she asks me if I would like some of her old Utah Studies stuff because she doesn't ever plan on going back to teaching it. So of course I said yes.
We finally got together today and she gave me a mildewy old box (apparently the stuff in her storeroom got damp...... EWW) FULL of worksheets and tests and lesson plans and pictures and maps and overheads. So I just spent the last 5 hours going through it all and throwing away duplicates. She had so many extra copies! She was getting all sentimental about the stuff when she was showing me and wanted me to bring it all back when I was done taking what I wanted but then changed her mind. So I decided to be nice and I pulled out 2 copies of everything and put hers in a seperate pile and I'll take it to her later. Now instead of a gross old box full of duplicates she can have just the worksheets in a couple folders or she can just throw them away herself whatever. So if I don't die from a mildew induced asthma attack (my disease showing through again......) I now have 7 manilla envelopes worth of different unit ideas to draw from during my student teaching!

No comments: