Monday, May 5, 2008

Juno?

This post isn't actually about the movie Juno. Although it's a hilarious movie that I recommend (unless you aren't a fan of things that are funny.) It's also not about any cities in Alaska. If it were it would have been titled Juneau. And since Juneau is one of the places in Alaska that I haven't actually been to I have nothing to post about it. No, this post is about one of my favorite games, the juno game. It's when you meet someone for the first time and they tell you where they are from and you can say "OH! Juno my friend Matt? He went to that school!" I am extremely good at this game. That is because I know everyone.

When I was a sophomore in high school I was put in a seminary class with a new teacher. It was a new semester so we were all just getting to know each other. He gave us all a blank sheet of paper that had the seating chart on it and was going to have us all say our names and fill out the sheet of paper as we went along. I raised my hand and asked if we got bonus points for already having our chart filled out. (This was before the class had even begun telling names) He didn't believe me so he made me stand up in front of the class and say everyones names. I did. I then asked if I was supposed to do last names too cause I hadn't. But I could. He thought I was some kind of mind reader so he asked me for everyones social security numbers as well. I knew those too so he decided to take me to Idaho to enter the lottery. Ok so I didn't know their social security numbers but I really did know every bodies first and last names. I think I freaked some of the people out cause they had no idea who I was. I think this is why I was so successful when I ran for student government that year. I'd see kids and call them by name and they were like "who is this creepy girl and how do I get her to leave?" and the only way was to promise to vote for me.

Alright I don't know everyone in the whole world, but I have friends who are convinced I do. The reason I decided to post this was because I was asked again today I knew everyone that someone else knew. I've decided why this is. I smile a lot. I meet people on campus and my memory is pretty decent so when I see someone that I've met before I give them an extra big smile. This makes people feel like they have to remember me or else they will feel silly when I smile at them or wave to them and they have no idea who I am. So people try to remember me. After being in several student wards, having at least 15 credits every semester for 4 years, and working at a couple high traffic student jobs I've met a lot of people. And when I see them I tend to say hi or smile big or wave so they do the same.

So chances are, if we have something in common and you know someone else who has the same thing in common with us, there is a chance that I know them, they might not know me, or they might not remember that we met one time for 2 minutes but I probably still smile at them when I see them.

No comments: