Thursday, May 29, 2008

I know I'm little

So I'm currently at my parents house in Provo waiting to go to my younger sisters graduation.  I carpooled down here with my 83 year old grandmother that lives up in the Logan area.  When we discussed coming down to Provo we had decided that I would drive.  She said right up front that she was going to have me drive because she knows she is getting older.  So she drove to my apartment and while I put my things in the back she hopped back in the drivers seat.  I was confused so I asked her if she didn't want me to drive.  She said that she thought she would drive for a little while and we could switch when we got to the "hard stuff".  This made me think she meant the canyon that you have to go through to exit Cache Valley.  Long story short she wouldn't let me switch with her until Roy.  She kept saying she was going to pull off and kept not pulling off.  She wanted to switch in the emergency lane but I convinced her to get off at an actual exit.  Don't worry we made it eventually and there weren't even any near collisions (we just went 80 though the canyon and 55 on the freeway...)  

But that wasn't what bugged me about my drive to Provo.  When we were just starting out Grandma said "Oh I meant to tell you to bring a pillow so you could see."  Dead serious.  She thought I was going to need something to sit on to drive.  She is all of 5'2" and she can see just fine.  This isn't the first time that someone has questioned my ability to drive.  My roommate Ashley subconsciously avoided ever handing me the keys, always favoring our other roommate to drive over me.  The roommate who, bless her heart, called a tow truck when her car broke down in the middle of nowhere (by broke down I mean ran out of gas).  I've never done that. (If you read this former roommate.... I still love you.)  My point is, I am a pretty decent driver.  I even get the good driver discount on my insurance.  I've never been behind the wheel of a car that I couldn't drive.  YES I am short.  I am aware of that.  But just because I'm short doesn't make me any less reliable or capable of driving.  It doesn't affect my reaction times and it doesn't make me less mature.  So if you need someone to drive you to the hospital or you need someone to take your car to drop you off at the airport or something of this nature, don't assume that I am not able to drive!  I can handle short jokes, because I am short.  I don't even care when people make jokes about me not being able to see over the steering wheel, as long as they don't actually believe that it is true.  Seats adjust people.  

2 comments:

lauren said...

HI!!! This is your long lost cousin Lauren!! This story cracks me up...at least you can laugh at stuff like this! Your Grandma Fleming cracks me up!

Traci said...

wow you really shouldn't let your grandma push you around like that. and i finally blogged something else so you can get off my back