Monday, August 4, 2008

A day full of bird related comparisons

If I wasn't grossed out by the idea of a chicken running around with it's head cut off I might try to find a video of it on the internet to post on here to show you all how I feel today.

This story is where bird reference number 2 comes in: The Wild Goose Chase. The day started early (cause the early bird gets the worms!) with a meeting with my academic adviser. I needed him to sign my graduation packet and he hasn't been on campus for a week so I had to wait until this morning to meet with him. I have to make sure that I see him today because if I wait until tomorrow I have to pay a $40 late fee on my packet.

Quick background story: I wouldn't have waited this long but you see, someone at the registrars office told me that I couldn't change my name after I had my packet and so I had to wait until after we went to Florida to change my name on my drivers license which means I couldn't even apply for my packet till I got home. When I finally get my name changed they tell me I have to talk to my minor department before I can apply for my application... well long runaround made short... when I finally get all this crap done the guy tells me "you know you could have taken care of all of that AFTER you had your packet."
SO I get to campus and my adviser signs everything and tells me I'm good to go! YAHOO! So I run over to the history department to get a signature from someone over there for my minor. There is one random teacher in her office so she just takes my word that I have the classes I need and signs my sheet. Wonderful! All before 9:30! So I'm thinking today is going to be fabulous. Well I go to turn in the packet and the girl is like "oops you need the Dean of your college to sign this." Like the Dean knows who I am and if I should be able to graduate. So I call the secretary and she tells me who I need to contact to get this signature. I go BACK to the education building and the secretary knows that packets are due tomorrow so she's got a big stack of them to get signed and she tells me that I can come back after noon to pick it up. I mention to her that I think my adviser has left a spot blank on the form. She looks at it and looks at me all confused. She says,"....... is this your second bachelors?" "No...." "Then your major isn't secondary education." WHAT THE CRAP! So apparently my adviser was going to let me graduate with a degree I couldn't have possibly earned........ So she fills out a change of major form and makes me go get it signed by my adviser (who by the way just nodded when I asked if this was right...... rrrrrrr) and she then staples it to my packet and says I'm good to go. Turns out I'm graduating with just a degree in Social Studies. This is the way I see it: I could have graduated a year ago and then taken all my education courses separate from everything and graduated with a second degree in Secondary Ed. I could be wrong but that's what it's looking like. Don't worry I made sure to ask if I can still teach. She laughed at me. It makes sense though because everyone else is a History major or an English major with an emphasis on secondary ed. But everything I've ever filled out has said my major was secondary ed. So I'm going to graduate but I have gone 4 years without knowing what my major is. So at about 1 I went and picked up my signed packet, filled out another sheet that nobody gave me before this, picked up another packet that nobody mentioned I needed, and then went to turn it in. Wouldn't you know it, I didn't have my check book and they don't take cards. Luckily they can post it to my account so I paid it online when I got home this afternoon, this was convenient actually because I had to pay tuition as well. (Killed 2 birds with one stone)

During my "downtime" while I waited to get my signed packet I decided to go get gas. I get to the pump and realize that Brad has my debit card in his wallet. I can't wait until this weekend when he gets his own debit card so we can stop switching my card around between the two of us! So I go back home and decide to call the apartment complex to see why they haven't gotten back to us yet. Last Monday when I called to check on things, they told me that everything was looking good, that they wouldn't have gotten this far if it wasn't looking like we would qualify, and that they should be finalizing our work that afternoon at 4:30 and would be letting us know if they had any questions and we could possibly move in earlier than the 9th! That was a week ago and we hadn't heard anything from them since. After a 5 minute wait she tells me "We came across some problems with your application and it looks like with your job and with Brad working full time you will make too much money so you are overqualified." (If you don't know we're moving into government subsidized housing so we have to be poor enough to live there.) My first question was "With my job?!" I wont have a job when we get there. In fact my last day was friday. It says so on the form. The form my boss faxed them said so too. In fact everything we've ever told them is "I WILL NOT HAVE A JOB." My next question was doesn't this qualify as something they should have let us know? They said they would call if they had any questions. So if they "came across some problems" doesn't that mean they should have called us to clarify or at least tell us they thought we didn't qualify. I point out to her that I can't work in Logan when I live in West Jordan and she says "oh you're right it does say that your last day is August 1st." Then she asks if I filled out the unemployment affidavit. Of course not, nobody told me about something like that even though I've been telling them all along I wont have a job. So she makes me fill out something and fax it to her saying that I wont have a job. I decided to just spell out our life plan for them in an attached memo. I even broke down our calculations for our expected income so that they could stop guessing and just know what is going on. Brad and I are getting really frustrated with the whole process. We've both decided that if we don't get into this housing that we'll survive and life will go on but we just want to know! We're packing up and leaving Logan on Saturday no matter where we end up staying but it's looking more and more like we'll be crashing at Brad's parents house for at least a little while until this all gets straightened out.

So my last frustrating story is that I tried to get my prescription refilled on Saturday but they couldn't fill it because they couldn't call USU's pharmacy to transfer the prescription. The USU pharmacy is only open from 11 till 1 during the summer so I had to rush in today between everything and it turns out they don't have any of my pills. So the guy transfered my information down to walmart so I could get it there.

So we still don't know where we're going to live, but at least I'll be medicated and on my way to graduation when we get there.

3 comments:

James said...

Assuming you have the same adviser as I do, since you used to be the same degree, I feel your frustration. I went in a couple of times to make sure I was taking the right classes and he would look stunned and say, "Oh you're missing a lot of them." Then 15 minutes later he would actually pull out my file and go, "oh, never mind you are on the old system, your fine." I'm also not looking forward to when we have to move in the middle of a Logan winter come December. Hope all goes well.

Traci said...

I wonder if this all could've been avoided if you had changed your name earlier like a normal person. :P

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

Um... Confession: I didn't read the whole thing. However. I know how you feel. But now you're done! Hooray!!! You're a gradamuate!