Friday, August 15, 2008

Flashback Friday: My olympic dreams

When I was a little girl I loved gymnastics, and actually I'm still little and I still love gymnastics. I have been staying up late all week watching the gymnastics finals for both men and women. When I was younger I did gymnastics at 2 different gyms. I can remember watching the Olympics back in the day and telling people the name of every skill that the gymnasts were doing. I thought I was so good at gymnastics. I won a gold medal for my age group back when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. If there was even a small open space in a room I could be found doing head stands and handstands or cartwheels. I often got up from the dinner table to go do headstands in the entry way of my parents house. I'm pretty sure that doing headstands on the kitchen floor is part of the reason the top of my head is so flat.... My next door neighbor once accused me of trying to make her mad by always doing cartwheels in the front yard when I knew she couldn't do a cartwheel. Turns out I wasn't that great at gymnastics. I'm kind of a wuss and so I was always scared to do any skill without a coach there to spot me. It was like pulling teeth trying to get me to advance and try new things. So I eventually gave up the dream of being the best gymnast in the world, but it sure was fun while it lasted. I still enjoy doing the occasional roundoff in the park, and I love watching people who are good gymnasts preform.

2 comments:

Jo Mama said...

Cute pictures. My recollection is that you were pretty good- as long as no one asked you to go too far off the floor. :)

Janell R. Cropper said...

I give you a gold medal for being the best Amy ever!! I just updated my blog, so thanks for pointing out my mistake!! You're awesome! I will get that fixed right away!